7 Signs That You Could Use A Digital Detox
By Emmy Katz
If you are reading this hunched over your phone, or toggling between Instagram, Facebook, your to do list and the ping of a text message...we are talking to you, (yes you!) with your phone primed to catch the next epic photo, or respond to your email.
Let's face it, we live in a digital age. There are not many who remember life before cell phones, instant gratification, or emails. I mean think back to when we had pen pals? Do people even have those anymore? And don't get us wrong, here at WAL we LOVE social media...and our biz is based on this foundation. BUT, we also know that sometimes we can begin to cross the line.
If you are questioning if you might need a a digital detox here are some clues:
- You sleep with your phone by your bed (maybe even in the bed with you) and are constantly scrolling through Instagram or Facebook right up until you fall asleep.
- There is hardly a moment during the day when your phone is not in your hand or pocket, (even when you travel to use the loo).
- You begin to have anticipatory anxiety when you haven't checked Facebook or Instagram for more than an hour.
- Meals are always eaten with phones on the table, ready to respond if necessary.
- Your phone is the first thing you reach for in the morning, (excluding alarms) and the last thing your hand touches before you go to bed.
- You can't remember the last time you spent a day without your phone.
- You find that you automatically check Facebook, emails, etc without even knowing how your fingers migrated you there. It has become programmed in your daily actions.
If you find yourself sheepishly nodding along to this, know that you are not alone! We can all attest to these actions. Knowledge is power right? So now that we know, let's take action! Join us for a Digital Detox Day on March 12th.
Not sure where to start? Look out for an upcoming post for our Digital Detox Survival Guide later this week. We promise not to leave you hanging. So put down your phone, take a deep breath-we've got you.
Emmy is a Physician Assistant, Holistic Health Coach, and co-founder of Wild Adventurous Life. By day she works as Physician Assistant in a Integrative and Functional Medicine Practice, and by all the times in between she is scheming up adventures for WAL.
SHARE WITH A FRIEND